I'm having one of those days.
It's a day where everywhere I look, I see something that needs to get done.
Right now, from where I'm sitting:
- Empty pill organizer. Need to refill it with my vitamins.
- Hangers. Shoot, Mike took the laundry to my parents' house and forgot to bring hangers again, so we'll have to steal more of their hangers and add them to our overflowing closet.
- Our car insurance bill. It's sitting next to me because I had to e-mail our insurance agent for the third time to see if we'd get a corrected bill by the time we leave for vacation. Also, this reminds me I need to pay our renter's insurance. (OK, done.)
- Our check for our vehicle stickers. Needs to go in the mail tomorrow since it's due before we get back.
- My e-mail. Oh yeah, I promised my friend I'd look over her paper. Hopefully I'll have time before we leave.
- Even this blog. Argh, still need to schedule the awesome guest posts I got and e-mail my guest bloggers with the date theirs will be published.
My brain can't stop coming up with things I need to do:
- Don't forget to set PaperBackSwap and Half.com on vacation so no one orders books from you.
- Tell the post office to hold your mail, but not yet.
- Didn't you want to get some more library books for the trip?
- Wouldn't it be a lot nicer to come home to a clean apartment? You should find some time to clean.
- You cannot forget to pay rent when you get back!
This is not even counting the stuff that has to get done at work before I go on vacation. My boss, unfortunately, is going to be at a conference until I leave for vacation, so I can't get his OK on my projects before I go. I just need to get done what I can and then send it all to him to review while I'm gone and let him distribute what he thinks is ready to go. He gave me about four new projects today before he left, so I'll have to move forward with those without getting any more clarification.
Oh yeah, I need to ask my coworker to handle room reservation approvals while I'm gone. Yet another thing to remember.
You know what does not help at all? The fact that it's 95-freaking-degrees in Chicago and it's that time of the month. (Woohoo TMI!) I am not well-equipped to deal with stress at the moment.
----OK, I took a short break and let each of the rats take a turn riding around on my shoulder and then rewarded them each with a piece of apple. We haven't done much training with them yet, so I'm trying to start off small with getting them used to staying on me and being calm. Ernie climbed inside my shirt, which was kind of hilarious. Spending a little time with them made me feel better :)
I know all of you have probably had a day like this, so I'm just reaching out and asking for your prayers, your sympathy, your suggestions, whatever. I know myself and know that everything that is really, really important will get done in time and I'll be able to relax next week. It's just a little overwhelming in the moment.
I've got nothing profound or insightful today -- just another slice of life. I'm going to go do my gratitude journal and go to sleep now, and I'll try to focus on the small joys, like how cute our rats are and how awesome it's going to be to spend time with my relatives next week.
Wherever you are, I wish you a peaceful, non-stressful week full of small joys and gratitudes.